The government allocated extra funding for school sports for the academic year for 2017/18 and moving forward into 2018/19. The documents attached at the bottom of this page outline how St John Rigby has been using this money and also provides a commentary on the impact (both current and intended).
The DofE published their vision for all children prior to the 2017/18 academic year:
The DfE Vision for the Primary PE and Sport Premium
ALL pupils leaving primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy, active lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
The criteria for the use of this funding is as follows:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- the profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport